Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mrs. Bee's Bread Making 101

So here it is, what I spent my day doing, in between meetings, and running to a natural food store, in which I will not likely go back to again.  Prices are too high for rudeness.
 Photobucket
I like fresh milled wheat, so I just take a big ol' scoop of the stuff and throw it 
in the mill....
Photobucket
Gather the cast... Imagine 2 eggs in this cast. I forgot them. OOPs.. Sorry eggs.... 
I'll do better next time.
Photobucket
About done being milled.
On to the next thing,
You need good and warm water, aroundish 100 degree's. I never measure. 
I figure if it warm to my skin but not hot I am good to go.
Photobucket
I just love making bread!
Photobucket
Usually I put the yeast in the water and then the honey and oil, 
but I was nervous about this post. So I forgot. I added them after the 
first 6 cups of flour.
Photobucket
I never measure exact unless I have to, so if no one is looking, just throw it in.
Photobucket
You should have the same amount of sugar or honey that your oil is,  
So half a cup of oil equals a half a cup of sugar/honey. I always use honey in my bread.
Oh yea, we make half and half bread here, 6 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour 
and 6 cups of whole wheat. You can mix it up. I won't tell.
Photobucket
This is where I remembered to throw the eggs in. Don't ask, put the eggs in. 
Oh you want it to look like pancake batter at this point. 
Turn off the machine. and put a top on it. I promise you, put the top on. 
Let it sit for like a half hour.
Photobucket
I stopped it early. I wanted to show you what it looks like. 
It is usually higher then this. Remember, I said to make sure you have the top on. 
There is good reason. I promise.
Photobucket
I love the feel of fresh milled wheat flour. It just feels oh so nice.  
You should try it sometime.
Photobucket
Now you want to add in 4-5 cups of flour, After, start putting it in slowly if 
you are using a machine. YOu want the dough to clean the sides of the bowl.
Photobucket
Now we are going to knead it. Those without a machine, 
put that tongue back in your mouth. Drool is not cool.
Hey I rhymed. Neat. Pete.
Never mind.
Machine people, 5-7 minutes is plenty of kneading. 
Without machines, 10-14 minutes is good or should be good. 
You want it to be stretchy. Sorry was not about to get flour ickyness on the camera.
Photobucket
Put the cover on while kneading too. I promise you. You want it.
Photobucket
Oil your hands and the counter/board you are using. 
Just do it.
It's going to be a sticky mess, but sticky is good, but not way over board, 
oil won't work sticky. Ok?
Photobucket
Now just drop the dough onto the oiled counter.
Feel free to touch it. I try and make it an even glop on the counter.
Now walk away from it.
Photobucket
It's tired and needs to rest for about 10 minutes.
Photobucket
It's had a nap and you are wishing you had one too.  
Too bad.
If you ain't got one,
Photobucket
Get one.
Best tool in my kitchen, it dices and such. It's awesome
Photobucket
Divide the dough into 4's.
Flatten them
Photobucket
Roll them,
Photobucket
And put them into the pan for baby and me,
Photobucket
I just couldn't resist.
Shhh!!
Photobucket
They are sleeping.... About 30 minutes. Long enough to come and tease on twitter.
Photobucket
All awake and ready to pop in the oven.
Photobucket
350 for about 35 minutes.
Do not forget to oil your pans really well.... I think I should have said that earlier. 
Sorry.
Can you smell them?
Photobucket
All baked, I did bake them a minute too long. I had a situation that could not be 
helped.
Oh ok, I was indisposed.
Photobucket
Just a cooling away.
Photobucket
That was Yummy!

Recipe
4 1/2 cups of warm water
2 heaping tablespoons of instant yeast or 2 packets.
1/2 cup of honey or sugar
1/2 cup of oil
1/2 cup of dry milk
2 eggs
6 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt, put in after letting it rest or sponge on top for 30 minutes
4-6 cups more of flour as needed. Non machine 6 cups.

Add the first 6 ingredients, you want it like pancake batter, on speed 1. Liquids first.
Let it sit for like 30 minutes, putting something on top of the bowl.
Then add in 4-5 cups of flour, now add in flour in 1/4 c increments, you want the dough to no stick to the side of the bowl,
or clean the sides of the bowl. Sometimes I need just 4 cups sometimes I need more. No one is watching so just do what feels right.
Throw in the salt. It helps the dough from forming more gluten I am told. No idea. I usually always forget to throw it in.
Take it out of the bowl and let it rest for around 10 minutes, it is not a needed thing, so no worries if you don't do it ok?
Divide it up into as equal as you can get into 4 pieces.
Make each piece flat, roll it and tuck the ends under, put it into an already well oiled bread pan.
Do the same for the other 3 pieces.
Get a towel and lay it over for around 30 or so minutes, you want it to double in size.
Throw it in the oven at 350 for 35 minutes.

Take a deep breath and say this is heaven.
Go on.
Do it.

Disclaimer: Mrs Bee's Blog or its subsidiaries are not at fault for the increasing waist line or burning of the bread.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, tut, Mrs. Bee! Love the humor too, you cheeky lass! I wanna try your recipe! I know when I do I'll have questions.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bread. I may have to dig my machine out tomorrow and make some bread for Easter. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good... I made bread this week and it was not nearly as pretty (or tasty) as yours!

    God bless-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete